Activate/Deactivate features from SharePoint, custom code, or third party tools are common actions in SharePoint. I particularly love the Wiki Page Home Page feature. Depending on the site template you use, default features are activated. But you might want to add more.
It might be possible to activate features with a PowerShell script, but as a super user, I only know how to manage SharePoint through the UI.
Features can be activated/deactivated both at the site collection level and the site level. Sometimes you have to activate them in a specific order. Last week we tried a new tool and I had to activate 8 features at the site collection level and 2 features at the site level (for each sub-site I had). And I can tell you, thanks to Sharegate it was really easy!
Option 1: Activate features through the UI
- Go to your Site settings and select Site Collection Features
- Activate the features you need
- Go back to Site Settings and select Site Features
- Activate the features you need for you site
- Repeat for every single feature from every single site collection and sub-sites.
Feature management is available from the Site Settings menu. You need to be located at your site collection level to see the Site Collection Administration settings.
You can activate or deactivate all the features you want from the list. You need to wait until the feature is activated before activating a new one. Sometimes, with custom development or third party tools you have to respect an order for activating features.
Option 2: Activate multiple features on multiple sites with Sharegate
- Execute a Find Query with the Sites and select your target(s)
- Edit selected sites
- Select the features you want to activate or deactivate and apply changes
Open Sharegate and go to the Find menu. Select Site objects and run the query after selecting your target(s).
Select the Site and Site collection you want to activate or deactivate features on, then click on Edit.
Then select the features you want to activate/deactivate for all the site collections or sites you’ve selected. The power of Sharegate is here, you can apply changes to multiple sites at the same time.
You can find the complete list of features available, and also add Features from other locations.
Imagine the time you can save! Particularly if you have to activate more than 2 features on 25 subsites!
It took me just 1min 28s to activate 4 times more features with Sharegate, compared to 54s for just 8 features!
The Microsoft way
- 4 Site Collection features
- 4 Site features
- 54 seconds for 8 features
- 6.75 seconds for 1 feature
The Sharegate way
- 4 Site Collection features
- 7 sites * 4 Site features
- 1 min 28 seconds for 32 features
- 2.75 seconds for 1 feature
As you can see you can save a lot of time by applying the same features on multiple sites!
Do you have to activate a lot of features?